What's "In the Name"?
- I make the Sign of the Cross as much or more than most, but I've been asked a question I cannot answer: *What* is in the name of the Father, and so on? What's understood (left unsaid) that makes this phrase a sentence?
Prayer Before Bed
- This is a very common prayer often heard in movies and media. "And now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep, and if I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take."
- I find it very soothing. It's like talking to my mother.
- —Guest E CHARLIE
St. Patrick's prayer
- We pray part of St. Patrick's "breastplate" prayer with our kids at night - and it pretty much sums up everything.
"Christ to shield me today. Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me.
Christ on my right, Christ on my left, Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down, Christ when I arise.
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me, Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me.
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me.
I arise today
Through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity, Through belief in the threeness, Through confession of the oneness, Of the Creator of Creation.
- —Guest Erin
- Thanks, God, for the food we are going to eat. Thanks God, let's eat.
- —Guest Jimena
- Dear God, before I sleep I want to thank you for this day so full of your kindness and your joy. I close my eyes to rest safe in your loving care.
- —Guest Bonnie McMahon
Talking to God
- It was my job, as the Grandmother, to teach my 6 and 9 year old granddaughters "GRACE" while I was visiting. My 6 year old granddaughter said, "I don't know that long one", I said, "just pray like you're talking to your girlfriend but it's God. She folded her hands, closed her eyes and said, Thank you for this food, God, I know it's yummy. Amen That's precious!
- —Guest Viv
favprite children's prayers
- Here in the Phils. children are taught the guardian angel prayer by their parents and teachers. so this prayer becomes a favorite.
- —Guest vilma nanette cosico
Angel of God
- Angel of God, my guardian dear, to whom His love commits me here. Be thy always at my side light and guide, to rule and guard. Amen
- —Guest Luis Adriano
Favorite Family Prayer
- Not sure if this is a Catholic prayer. I saw it in a magazine and loved it. We say it at nighttime and oftentimes on the way to school.
Bless this family that I love
and comfort them each day.
As daytime turns to nighttime
please bring them peace, I pray.
When morning comes tomorrow,
may all their cares be small.
Guide us with Your wisdom
Lord bless us one and all.
- —Guest Terri McIntyre
Prayer for a Child
- It's in a vintage style illustrated book by Rachel Field:
Bless this milk and bless this bread.
Bless this soft and waiting bed
Where I presently shall be
Wrapped in sweet security.
Through the darkness, through the night
Let no danger come to fright
My sleep till morning once again
Beckons at the window pane.
Bless the toys whose shapes I know,
The shoes that take me to and fro
Up and down and everywhere.
Bless my little painted chair.
Bless the lamplight, bless the fire,
Bless the hands that never tire
In their loving care of me.
Bless my friends and family.
Bless my Father and my Mother
And keep us close to one another.
Bless other children, far and near,
And keep them safe and free from fear.
So let me sleep and let me wake
In peace and health, for Jesus' sake.
- —Guest maisey
Prayer of thanks and for guidance.
- Dear Lord Jesus Christ I thank you for this day and all the blessings you have put before me.
I ask that you please provide me with the strength, guidance, and wisdom to do will, to resist satan's temptations, and to always live my life in accordance with What Would Jesus Do. I ask all these things in your name Jesus Christ, Amen.
- This is a good prayer to say with your kids first thing in the morning, or at lunchtime if you are home during the day.