This Prayer for a New Pope was written by Archbishop William Lori of Baltimore in the wake of Pope Benedict XVI's announcement of his resignation. Archbishop Lori is the supreme chaplain of the Knights of Columbus, the world's largest Catholic service agency, and the Knights have been promoting this prayer. Many bishops throughout the United States have asked that this prayer be recited after Mass in the parishes of their dioceses until a new pope is elected. This Prayer for a New Pope is also appropriate for your private prayers, whether personal or with your family (perhaps, say, at the end of supper, following Grace After Meals.)
Prayer for a New Pope
O Lord Jesus Christ, Supreme Pastor of Your Church, we thank you for the ministry of Pope Benedict XVI and the selfless care with which he has led us as Successor of Peter, and Your Vicar on earth.
Good Shepherd, Who founded Your Church on the rock of Peter's faith and have never left Your flock untended, look with love upon us now, and sustain Your Church in faith, hope, and charity.
Grant, Lord Jesus, in Your boundless love for us, a new Pope for Your Church who will please You by his holiness and lead us faithfully to You, who are the same yesterday, today, and forever. Amen.
Coverage of Pope Benedict's Resignation:
- BREAKING: Pope Benedict XVI to Resign on February 28, 2013
- The Pope Resigns: "He Never Wanted to Be Pope"
- The Pope Resigns: Why February 11?
- The Pope Resigns: The Shade of Celestine
- The Pope Resigns: The Rest of the Story?
- Pope Benedict XVI's Final General Audience (February 27, 2013)
- The Pope Resigns: "Christ Continues to Walk Through All Times in All Places"
- The Pope Resigns: It Is Finished