1. Religion & Spirituality
Scott P. Richert

Christ Is Risen!

By April 20, 2014

Today is Easter, the greatest feast in the Christian calendar.A Russian icon of the Resurrection of Christ. (Photo © Slava Gallery, LLC; used with permission.) From His death on Good Friday, Christ has risen to new life, and His Resurrection gives us the hope of eternal life. In Eastern Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches on Easter, Christians greet each other with cries of "Christ is risen!" and respond "Indeed He is risen!" Over and over, they sing a hymn of celebration:

Christ is risen from the dead
By death He conquered death
And to those in the graves
He granted life!

In Western Catholic churches, the Alleluia is sung for the first time since the beginning of Lent. Our fast is over; now is the time for celebration, as St. John Chrysostom reminds us in his famous Easter Homily. We began singing hymns of joy at the Easter Vigil on Holy Saturday; and we should continue that joy throughout the day, as we enjoy our Easter meal.

Through it all, however, we should always keep in mind that Easter isn't just some spiritual event that happened just once, long ago; we don't say "Christ has risen" but "Christ is risen," because He rose, body and soul, and is still alive and with us today. That is the true meaning of Easter.

Christ is risen! Indeed He is risen!

(A Russian icon of the Resurrection of Christ. Photo © Slava Gallery, LLC; used with permission.)
Connect With Scott:
Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Newsletters
Comments
April 6, 2010 at 6:53 pm
(1) Christistopher Browne says:

Happy Easter to all and may the Lord bless you all the days of your life. My the Blessed Mother and the holy Angels take you to Jesus upon your death.

April 6, 2010 at 10:07 pm
(2) jeanette ann s. posadas says:

Thank you for your column, Mr. Richert. I am a Catholic but a nominal one: I try to go to church regularly, and I pray everyday, but the depth of my connection to my faith isn’t what it should be. Your newsletters provide me deeper insights into what it means to be Catholic, and I look forward to receiving them. Again, thank you.

March 31, 2013 at 10:10 am
(3) Josh Cooney says:

Indeed He is Risen!

Thank you, Mr. Richert, for your good work on this site and in Chronicles.

April 2, 2013 at 1:51 pm
(4) Anthony says:

Hello Scott I just recently converted to catholicism
And I’m having a hard time keeping my faith
The reason being is having sexual temptations
And I try to fight them very hard but I seem to lose

April 2, 2013 at 3:05 pm
(5) Maribel says:

Anthony, never stop fighting. Your faith should not weaken because you stumble. He is true always. Fortify yourself with prayer, look at the people and places that surround you. Do those things make it easier or lead you to sin? Go to mass often, read the word. Go to confession. Seek a spiritual counselor. When you stumble, ask for forgiveness and stick to him. I will pray for you, please pray for me.

April 3, 2013 at 1:58 pm
(6) Joseph Okwulehie says:

Brother Anthony, think about the spiritual, physical and mental trauma you subject your self to when you sin against your body. However, you can’t help yourself; only Jesus can help you when you tell HIM how desperately you want to be free.

April 23, 2014 at 1:19 am
(7) Maurice says:

Dear Anthony,
While still on this planet Earth, we are all sinners but we have to struggle and keep our connection with our God by asking for forgiveness. Always go for sacrament of Penance and reconcile with God.Keep praying and read the scriptures. Risen Jesus will take you through.