1. Religion & Spirituality
Scott P. Richert

The Final Week of Lent: Holy Week

By April 13, 2014

Lent is finally coming to an end, and we begin Holy Week with the triumphal procession of Palm Sunday, when Christ entered Jerusalem and the people laid palms on the road before Him.Russian icon of Christ's entrance into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday. (Photo © Slava Gallery, LLC; used with permission.) Five days later, on Good Friday, some of those same people were likely among those who cried, "Crucify Him!"

We can learn a lot from their behavior. "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak," and even as Lent draws to a close, we realize that, like those who called for Christ's Crucifixion, we all too often slip and fall into sin. During these last days, especially during the Easter Triduum of Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and Holy Saturday, we should redouble our efforts with prayer and fasting, so that we may be worthy to celebrate the Resurrection of Christ on Easter Sunday.

That, too, is the theme of the Scripture Readings for Holy Week, as Saint Paul urges us in the Letter to the Hebrews not to give up hope but to continue the fight, because Christ, the eternal high priest, has instituted a New Covenant that will never pass away, and for our salvation, He has sealed it with His Blood.

(Russian icon of Christ's entrance into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday. Photo © Slava Gallery, LLC; used with permission.)

Holy Week Resources:

Connect With Scott:
Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Newsletters
Comments
March 5, 2012 at 7:59 pm
(1) Bronwen Scott-Branagan says:

Thank you for your article. I especially love the image you have chosen. I have written about ideas for children’s Bible Study and activities during the first three days of Holy Week in the above URL. You are inspiring me to continue on and write about Bible readings, family discussions and activities for the Triduum.

March 26, 2013 at 2:49 pm
(2) Joe says:

Has anyone wondered how there are 3 days involved when Jesus was crucified on Good Friday to Easter Sunday (one may think there ws only 2 days). Only if you think of the Jews’ perception of a day does it make sense. When Jesus died it was 3pm on Friday afternoon. As day’s end with sunset and the next day begins then officially when the sun set on Thursday it was still within that first day on the afternoon of 3pm on Friday hence the 1st day. Then the second day started at sunset on Friday until Sat. sunset….2nd day and then began the 3rd day which was Easter Sunday that ended on Sunday at sunset. It is said on the 3rd day He will be raised up and it was indeed on that 3rd day. I hope that helps as it did for me after so many years!

March 26, 2013 at 10:00 pm
(3) Salvy says:

And to kick off Holy Week I had to finally send my beloved 15-year old yellow lab to Heaven.
I know, I know…All you hear about that, whether it’s on Catholic TV or radio from all the so-called experts wearing priestly garb, and all the other narrow-minded who copy them with all the same close-minded mantra, is how only human beings live eternally, and all the animal creatures have no right whatsoever like all us great fantastic humans to live on spiritually into the afterlife–and what a bunch of rubbish!
Well, I’m glad it’s God who is in charge and not them, of all His great creation and all His beloved creatures.

March 27, 2013 at 7:44 am
(4) Salvy says:

And who’s on first, Joe? Reading your explanation about the 3 days–stuff like that makes me want to bang my head against the wall and knock out the cobwebs.
So, you had me going back to watch again the old Abbott & Costello who’s on first routine on youtube–me along with over 9.5 million other knuckleheads , now having watched that on youtube. And, it helped me come back and get a clearer understanding of your third day mini-lecture.
Thanks for that, Joe, and Happy Easter to all!

April 2, 2013 at 2:44 pm
(5) TheophilusX says:

In most Catholic Churches, the Great Fast (Lent) ends before Holy Week!!! Holy Week is not a part of Lent for Eastern Catholics!!!

April 15, 2014 at 4:57 pm
(6) Leonard Mather says:

Scott: Help me out with this. My Baptist friends emphasize that Jesus was in the grave 3 days (sundown to sunup to sundown unlike our days/nights) and 3 nights. Bible fact. We (both Catholics and Protestants universally acknowledge Jesus died on Friday 3PM and placed in his grave (day #1). He was in the grave that night (Night #1). In His grave Saturday, day (Day #2), and Saturday night (Night #2). On Sunday, when His grave site was visited, the Biblical words were: “HE IS RISEN! Good Ebonics interpret that as “He done been gone; HE ain’t here Sunday (day)” Now that is two days and two nights. Does anyone have an answer to this? Oddly, I was offered an answer by a 7th Day Adventist. What is your take? They told me that Jesus, as a Jew, was crucified on a High Holy Thursday, and NOT ON FRIDAY!

April 15, 2014 at 5:23 pm
(7) Leonard Mather says:

Salvy does not seem to like what Joe offered about 3 days and 3 nights before resurrection. He might make a good Democrat, as they too, do not like facts that lead to cognitive dissonance. Jesus was a practicing Jew. He was crucified on High Holy Thursday. Passover Thursday, Abib 15. His burial was BEFORE sundown and sundown was night #1.
Passover Thursday Day was Day #1. Abib 16 gave Night #2 (Friday) and Day #2 (Friday). Abib 17 Saturday was night #3 and Day #3. Resurrection occurred Prior to Sunday Abib 18. At sunup, 72 hours later Matt 16:6 and Luke 24:6, “He is risen.” Good Ebonics translate that to be “He done been gone; He ain’t here no more.” If Salvy does not like this, Al Sharpton and Jesse my come and “git you.”