1. Religion & Spirituality
Scott P. Richert

The Third Week of Lent: Renewing Our Commitment to God

By March 23, 2014

In this, the third week of Lent, we often find our resolution beginning to wane. What would it hurt to have just one piece of chocolate, or one little drink? Maybe I'll watch the news tonight, as long as I don't watch any other TV. I know I said I wouldn't gossip, but this is just too juicy to wait until Easter . . .

The Israelites, too, went through periods when their commitment declined, even as God was guiding them through the desert toward the Promised Land. In the Scripture Readings for the Third Week of Lent, we see God forming His covenant with the Chosen People and confirming it with a blood sacrifice. Yet when Moses goes up on Mount Sinai for 40 days to receive the Ten Commandments, the Israelites apostatize, asking Aaron to create a golden calf for them to worship.

How easy it is to forget all the good that God has done for us! During these 40 days, we'll be tempted many times to turn our backs on those Lenten disciplines that we adopted to draw us closer to God. If we simply persevere, however, the reward will be great: the grace that comes from dedicating our lives to Christ.

Scripture Readings for Lent:

Connect With Scott:
Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Newsletters
Comments
March 9, 2010 at 3:17 pm
(1) Maary says:

Thank you for these Readings and Teachings during this Holy Lented Season. God bless you

April 6, 2011 at 9:33 am
(2) NORMA says:

SADLY WE ARE WITHOUT OUR OWN PRIEST. IT IS THEREFOR DIFFICULT TO ALWAYS HAVE A MASS. THESE TEACHINGS IN YOUR WEBSITE HAVE BEEN REALLY HELPFUL IN FOCUSING ME ON OUR LORD AND ON MY LENTEN JOURNEY.

GOD BLESS YOU

NORMA

March 15, 2012 at 8:47 am
(3) minda says:

thanks a lot for emailing me all about lenten reading etc.it help me a lot,Im very far from the catholic church….my husband is an orthodox christian….their celebration of lent is bit different from the catholic…Im reading my Bible,but dont have guide,for the lent reading..

March 23, 2012 at 8:05 am
(4) L. umaru says:

Thanks, the articles always inspirational, God grant u more bless wisdoms.Amen.

March 6, 2013 at 1:26 am
(5) Nunu Mabaso says:

Thank you very much Scott for all the guidance and coaching that you are providing us everyday, there is a lot for us to learn and apply in our daily lives. May the Almighty give you more strength and grant you peace, love and happines.

March 6, 2013 at 5:25 am
(6) Hector Molina says:

I have learned much about my faith through this website. Thank You for your work

March 27, 2014 at 12:28 pm
(7) katokato dongo says:

Hi Scott thank u for helping me to have clarity on my Catholic teachings that gives us wisdom.God bless

March 27, 2014 at 2:55 pm
(8) Josh says:

I would like to add my thanks, too. This article arrived in my email just at the perfect time. I was getting lax and lazy.

March 28, 2014 at 12:34 am
(9) Claude says:

Thank you Scott for providing insights of the Catholic faith & its teachings,which inspire us as True Christians on day to day basis.Plz keep up the good work.God Bless you and yours.

March 28, 2014 at 4:33 am
(10) Stella says:

Thanks Scott for these teachings about our Catholic faith, they have helped me alot. May the Good Lord grant you happiness, joy and life so you can live longer to spread His Gosple.

March 28, 2014 at 8:18 am
(11) Maria says:

.Thank you Scott for your updates, they are very inspirational. God bless!

March 29, 2014 at 8:48 am
(12) Hashaka Alex says:

Thanks ever so much for the updates Scott.
Its really challenging and quite often I am also tempted to slide back BUT we hope God gives us the grace to keep close to Him even after Lent.