1. Religion & Spirituality
Scott P. Richert

When Does Lent End? It Depends

By February 18, 2014

Whenever I discuss Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, as I have recently, I know the next question that readers will ask. With thoughts of Lent firmly planted in their heads, they're already looking forward to the end of the Lenten fast. Thus the question: "When does Lent end?"

In the past, I've always answered the question that I assumed readers were really asking: "When can I start eating chocolate/watching TV/snacking between meals/[insert your Lenten sacrifice here] again?" And, in almost every case, that probably was what the reader really meant. But the answer wasn't really complete, because, you see, for Roman Catholics Lent ends on two different days, depending on what you mean by the question.

Intrigued? You can read more about when Lent ends, and find the two answers, in When Does Lent End? But before you click through, I'll give you one hint: Neither of the correct answers is Palm Sunday.

Related Questions About Lent:

Connect With Scott:
Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Newsletters
Comments
March 27, 2013 at 9:58 pm
(1) Anthony says:

Oh man I thought it ended on Thursday and I did my sacrifice, does this mean I’m a sinner?

March 28, 2013 at 11:50 am
(2) Jason says:

We all have sinned, but those who belive in Jesus and has let him into their life has had their sins forgiven. No minister, No Pope, No priest and No church leader needed to have your sins forgiven.

Jesus had stated, “You are a new creation, old things has past away” Also “Your sins are as far as the East is from the West”. Neither meet and you don’t need to give anthing other than accepting Jesus as your Lord and Saviour. That easy.

March 29, 2013 at 8:46 am
(3) Jeff says:

Jason. If that is the case, why did Jesus instruct the apostles to go out and forgive sins? “Those sins you forgive are forgiven. Those sins you hold bound are held bound.” John 20:23

March 29, 2013 at 11:34 am
(4) NoPriest says:

Bible is full of contradictions…Ever tell story on a human line only to hear it totally different with the last person? Wait, how many times has the bible been written?

Sacrifice is your will to commit to something in life

Your guilt is your own shame. Deal with it and move on.

April 11, 2014 at 9:45 pm
(5) ptrk says:

there are no contradictions in the bible. The contradictions exist in your interpretation of the bible. If you want the correct interpretation of the bible then go to its author, the Catholic Church. Without the Catholic Church we would have no bible. And the bible hasn’t been rewritten only translated, with the exception of the King James version.

April 19, 2014 at 12:16 am
(6) Carol says:

With all due respect to my Protestant brothers and sisters, if I don’t need a priest to forgive my sins, then neither do you need a minister to baptize you. Just immerse yourself in water and ask God to baptize you. That should work just as well, right?
Jesus gave instructions to the Twelve Apostles including baptizing, preaching the Gospel, and forgiving sins.
The Catholic Church is just being obedient to what Jesus Himself instructed us to do…

April 22, 2014 at 10:25 pm
(7) danny says:

The Bible also says to “call no man on earth father” yet catholics call their priests father. Its absurd that catholics think you need priests to mediate everything.. read the bible and you will see that the catholic chuch defies almost all of jesus’ commandments and lessons by idolizing and praying saints and the virgin mary