1. Religion & Spirituality
Scott P. Richert

Living a Sacramental Life

By June 21, 2013

As summer begins and our thoughts turn to vacation, it's easy to lose sight of the importance of the sacraments in our lives. We might still make it to Mass during the summer (though we may be tempted, especially when traveling, to shirk our Sunday duty), but with First Communion and Confirmation (usually celebrated in the spring) behind us, we're not giving much thought to the fact that the sacraments are the source of our life as Christians. Through them, we receive the grace that makes it possible for us to live a truly human life--that is, a life without sin.

This summer, consider adding a little grace to your vacation by not only attending Mass on Sunday but occasionally during the week. It's a great family activity and a way to show your children (without lecturing them) that your family is serious about its faith. And take advantage of the seasonally short lines for Confession to make that sacrament a part of your monthly schedule. Come fall, you might find that you have picked up a couple of new habits that you won't want to break.

The Sacraments:

Connect With Scott: Twitter | Facebook | Newsletters
Comments
June 19, 2007 at 1:58 pm
(1) Sylvia says:

Thanks for the reminder….We should review the Sacraments on a weekly basis and then, maybe, we’d realize there’s more to our faith than simply attending Sunday Mass!

June 19, 2007 at 3:37 pm
(2) Dennis says:

This is a very good suggestion. Parents should teach their children early on that our Faith is much more than merely church on Sunday and receiving sacraments at their appropriate time. Faith should be serious and celebrated. It should never be routine and mundane. Thanks for the suggestion.
Dennis

June 22, 2010 at 12:52 pm
(3) Ricky Jones says:

I think this is a great idea! I’ve always wanted to attend at least one or two weekday Masses, but just always end up “being too busy.”

June 22, 2010 at 2:15 pm
(4) Bret Esbrandt says:

Going to mass Monday through Saturday in the early morning is like a jolt of caffeine, I look forward to weekday mass and love the community of Sunday mass.

June 23, 2010 at 8:28 pm
(5) karyn sweet says:

It’s often hard to talk myself into attending weekday Mass with four littles ones on my own, but I do think I’m a better mom on those days. I leave Mass feeling uplifted. And the kids usually behave pretty well (probably because the Mass is so much shorter!).

June 22, 2011 at 9:41 am
(6) CONNIE FREDERIQUE says:

i will pray for father corapi, my mother and i used to listen to him every sunday. it is with a great sadness for us.

please do not let him a stray, find him and bring him back to the church after all we are the children of the god almighty, we are not perfect, he needs us now more than ever. do not let the devil get his soul i am pleading for his soul who is looking for comfort no matter what please do not let devil win such magnificent soul.

thank you.

June 21, 2013 at 11:53 am
(7) Patricia M says:

I attend mass everyday and on Sundays also It is such a blessing that everyone should try once .

June 22, 2013 at 10:28 am
(8) Donald says:

Since being received into the Church at the Easter Vigil 2013, I have attended weekday morning Mass every day unless I’m ill. I didn’t know I culd get up that early, dress, and ready to meet my Lord, but I can, and I’m so much the better because of it.The early morning sleeply cobwebs in my brain seem to slowly blow away under the knowledge of meeting Jesus in the Eucharist. Thank God for his blessings. Donald