Like all Eastern Orthodox, Greek Orthodox hold to a stricter regimen of fasting and abstinence than do Catholics--Western Catholics, at least. In recent years, many Eastern Rite Catholics have revived the traditional Eastern Lenten fast, which includes abstaining from all meat, dairy, and eggs for all of Lent.
Nancy Gaifyllia, the former About.com Guide to Greek Food, put together an impressive collection of Greek Orthodox fasting recipes, including appetizers, salads and side dishes, and main dishes. You can find her recipes, as well as recipes from other About.com food guides, in Lenten Recipes: Meatless Recipes for Lent and Throughout the Year.
More on Lenten Fasting and Abstinence:
- Lent Recipes: German Food
- Lent Recipes: Serbian Food
- Lent Recipes: Spanish Food
- Lent Recipes: French Food
- Lent Recipes: Chinese Fish Recipes
- Lent Recipes: Italian Food
- Lent Recipes: Low-Carb Foods for Lent
- Lent Recipes: Mexican Food
- Lent Recipes: Lenten Recipes for Busy Families
- Fasting: A Powerful Spiritual Tool
- Abstinence as Spiritual Discipline
- What Are the Rules for Fasting and Abstinence in the Catholic Church?
- Should I Give Up My Diet for Lent?
- Should We Fast on Sundays?