1. Religion & Spirituality
Scott P. Richert

Pope Benedict Sets the Norm for Receiving Communion

By June 26, 2008

On the Feast of Corpus Christi 2008, a number of Catholic commentators took note that those who approached Pope Benedict XVI to receive Holy Communion knelt and received the Host on the tongue.Pope Benedict XVI gives Polish President Holy Communion. (Photo by Carsten Koall/Getty Images) In fact, a kneeler had been set up at the point of distribution to make it clear that the faithful were to receive Communion kneeling.

This posture, of course, is the traditional one for receiving Communion in the Western Church, which is why Catholic churches historically had altar rails at which the faithful would kneel for the reception of the Host. But since the promulgation of the Novus Ordo, the new Mass of Pope Paul VI, it has become increasingly common to receive Communion standing and, in the United States in particular, on the hand.

Some suggested that the Holy Father distributed Communion in the traditional manner only because it was the Feast of Corpus Christi--of the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ--and that he was making a point about the sacredness of the Eucharist. A new interview with the master of ceremonies for papal Masses, however, makes it clear that he was indeed making a point, but that this was not a one-time thing. In L'Osservatore Romano, the newspaper of Vatican City, Monsignor Guido Marini was asked whether the "practice [is] destined to become habitual in papal ceremonies."

Fr. John Zuhlsdorf at What Does the Prayer Really Say? provides a translation of Monsignor Marini's answer:

I really think so. . . . The method adopted by Benedict XVI tends to underscore the force of the norm valid for the whole Church. In addition, one could perhaps also note a preference for using this method of distribution which, without taking anything from the other, better sheds light on the truth of the Real Presence in the Eucharist, it helps the the devotion of the faithful, introduces them more easily to a sense of mystery. Aspects which, in our time, speaking pastorally, it is urgent to highlight and recover.

For those who have followed Pope Benedict's pontificate, this should not come as a surprise. The traditional posture for receiving Communion is preserved in the the Traditional Latin Mass, which the Holy Father, in July 2007 (in Summorum Pontificum), restored as one of the two approved forms of the Mass. And the Eucharist plays a central role in Pope Benedict's thought, including in his first encyclical, Deus caritas est (God Is Love), where he writes:

The Eucharist draws us into Jesus' act of self-oblation. More than just statically receiving the incarnate Logos, we enter into the very dynamic of his self-giving. The imagery of marriage between God and Israel is now realized in a way previously inconceivable: it had meant standing in God's presence, but now it becomes union with God through sharing in Jesus' self-gift, sharing in his body and blood. The sacramental "mysticism", grounded in God's condescension towards us, operates at a radically different level and lifts us to far greater heights than anything that any human mystical elevation could ever accomplish.

When we think of the Eucharist in those terms, Pope Benedict's desire to revive the older method of receiving Communion is not surprising at all. We owe all that we are to God; when given the opportunity to achieve union with Him in the Eucharist, kneeling in gratitude seems the least we can do.

Where does this leave Communion in the hand? As Monsignor Marini points out,

it is necessary not to forget that the distribution of Communion in the hand remains, even now, from the juridical standpoint, an indult from the universal law, conceded by the Holy See to those bishops conferences which requested it.

In other words, it is an exception to the norm, and Pope Benedict is making it clear what the norm has been and still is: Communion on the tongue while kneeling.

Connect With Scott: Twitter | Facebook | Newsletters
Comments
June 26, 2008 at 11:50 pm
(1) dustiam says:

Unfortunately the reception of Holy Communion during the past 40 years had shown less and less awe and reverence for the Body and Blood of Jesus. Glad to hear that the Church is getting its bearings again and understanding that “reverence is the root of all virtue.

June 27, 2008 at 1:19 am
(2) Martin says:

Even Mother Teresa had said”The worst thing in the world today worse than famine worse than abortion, is communion the hand.” Look up Saint Augustine. It is sacrilege. Cardinal Ratzinger had said “The Catholic bastions must be destroyed.” Saint Robert Bellarmine (a Doctor of the Church) taught “If a Pope tries to destroy the Church…resist…” Why do we pray for the Pope and the Bishops at Mass – wake up people – its serious. Our Lady of La Sallette said “Rome will lose the Faith…” St Columba(6th century prophesy)said “…the Church will be despoiled of her property…” look around! “New” “Mass”, communion in the hand,changing – lying in the words of the consecration,etc., all this is supposed to be equal to the true Latin Mass? Everyone thinking to be Catholic should ask, all around,”Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, nothing but the truth, so help you God?

June 27, 2008 at 8:17 am
(3) Scott P. Richert says:

Martin, I’m afraid you’re rather confused. Pope Benedict is trying to encourage people to return to receiving Holy Communion on the tongue while kneeling, and you declare he is supporting Communion in the hand and trying “to destroy the Church”?

July 1, 2008 at 1:46 pm
(4) Anthony says:

It seems to me that what is most important in the reception of communion is the inner disposition of the person receiving it. Jesus did not distribute the last supper to the apostles on their tongues while kneeling.
The Mass is a “continuation” of the same event and is intended to raise us to a union with God so intimate that Christ prayed we be made one with Him in God as He Himself is:
John 22: “And I have given them then glory you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one, (23)I in them and You in me, that they may be brought to perfection as one, that the world may know that You sent me, and that you loved them even as you loved me.”
If it is argued we are not the apostles you might look to the beginning of this prayer said at the last supper.
John 20: “I pray not only for them, but also for those who will believe in me through their word…”
John 20-26 is one of the most beautiful and revealing passages in the Bible where our true destiny and dignity as children of God is revealed.
As far as Mother Teresa saying that receiving communion in the hand is worse than abortion; All I can say is I am glad she is not the Pope!

July 2, 2008 at 2:22 am
(5) Anthony says:

After reading the comment about Mother Teresa saying that the reception of the Eucharist in the hand was worse than abortion, I just had to track this comment down.
I have a special love for this modern day saint and could not believe she would say such a thing.
I am relieved to find out that what she is reported to have said is that what “made her the saddest” was to see people receiving communion in the hand.
I don’t have a transcript of the conversation in which she made this statement, but I can only assume that it emanated from her own devotion to the Eucharist, and her insight into the general lack of respect displayed for the Sacrament by many modern day Catholics.
As human beings we experience different degrees of joy and sadness. I think if her statement was properly interpreted, we would understand that she experienced her most intense sadness when witnessing (what was in her eyes) a custom that has led to a lessening of devotion and respect for the Body and Blood of our Saviour.
I can only assume that anything she saw as contributing to a loss of Love and devotion to Christ (especially within His Church) would have elicited the same degree of sadness from her.
This is far from saying that she believed it to be the worst sin!

July 6, 2008 at 9:07 pm
(6) Militant1 says:

Anthony,
How do you know He did not give communion on the tongue to kneeling apostles. Scripture does not say that they were not kneeling, nor does it say that He did not give it on the tongue. You speak with much authority, from whence does it come?

July 8, 2008 at 12:12 am
(7) JoeWe says:

Having experienced the reception of the Eucharist both before and after Vatican II, I recall the extreme sentimental mystification of the Eucharist. We were not permitted to chew the bread as the apostles and Jesus himself did, but we had to swallow it whole – chewing would be a form of desecration of the Body of Christ. Nuns told us stories of bleeding hosts that had fallen accidentally from the communion plates. If a real host fell to the floor it was reason for a serious mystical recovery operation– requiring of course the sacred fingers of a priest to save the day. The celebrant was not permitted to open his index and thumb until they were thoroughly washed over the chalice and he would drink the libation, making certain that not a speck of the wafer was desecrated by touching anything other than Catholic tongues and ordained digits. (Evidently a Golden Chalice is still OK with the Lord). Is this form of fanatical piety a new restoration of mystery or mystification? Isn’t this a form of Catholic navel gazing? Remember this standard way of receiving Eucharist did not include the other essential element of the Eucharist–the wine; No, only the priests could receive the blood of Christ. This was of course God’s ordained way of reception which lacks a speck of Biblical support. What the Word of God tells us is that Jesus saved his most scathing words for the Religious Mysterians of their day–the Pharisees and Scribes. Hypocrites he calls them, noting their pious preoccupation with the speck in the other person’s eye while ignoring the beam in their own. Or “You blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel! (Mt 23:24)
Mystification is about power, an instrument of control. Jesus saw through their pretensions. Unfortunately the governance of the Church still remains sinfully naive of its own capacity for self-deception ala self-preservation. Witness the cover-ups by the Bishops in American cities (Boston and Philadelphia in particular) in the sexual abuse of children by priests (By the way, one was in my parish and was the sponsor of the parish Boy Scout troop. He was pre-Vatican II and situated in the catbird’s seat for the parish pedophile.) In Boston’s case the Vatican gave sanctuary to Cardinal Law from the U.S. courts. No doubt, like the makers of Hebrew National hot dogs, the Vatican answers to a Higher Power rather than International law by harboring suspected criminals. Naive, self-serving and self-preserving.
It is truly a disgrace that this re-mystification of the Eucharist which in a sense is a further diminution of the laity – the people of God – and its role in the Church. It’s a power grab; a restoration of the Good Ol’ Deity, de-Incarnate, transcendent to all but the holy mediators and their high paid lawyers.

Joe Clarke
Philadelphia, PA.

September 12, 2008 at 10:29 am
(8) Donna says:

Wow, Joe, you sure are bitter! I pray that you will be able to be at peace with the restoration of the sacredness of the reception of Communion and see that it is to honor God and not to diminish humans which are the creation of God.

September 21, 2008 at 1:21 am
(9) Michael says:

I only joined the Catholic Church in 2004 and I have noticed a serious disregard for the sanctity of the Eucharist. Last week I saw a person receive Communion in their right hand and pop the Host into their mouth like a stick of gum. If Pope Benedict made this form of reception a mandate for the United States, I wouldn’t be opposed to it at all.

November 19, 2008 at 5:26 pm
(10) SANDRA says:

Thank you Michael and Donna, I can’t believe a convert has more respect for the Eucharist and reverence and common sense, than a “so called” by name only catholic like Anthony.

November 19, 2008 at 5:27 pm
(11) SANDRA says:

Sorry I meant Joe

November 25, 2008 at 8:48 am
(12) Julia says:

In reading this conversation, I am touched by two things; I have always received the host in hand – that is how I was brought up – We have a wonderful Priest who has explained that receiving it on the tongue is the “preferred” way (that means he is telling you to do it). I have always been uncomfortable with this – believe it or not it makes me a nervous wreck just thinking about it!I will begin to receive the Eucharist on the tongue going forward. I too have a strong admiration for Mother Teresa and continually look to her as a role model.
My second thought is – STOP being critical of each other. Past, present, future, we will and have all made mistakes and will continue. That is what Jesus died for.
Have a very blessed Thanksgiving, we have so much that God has given us to be thankful for!

November 25, 2008 at 4:19 pm
(13) sharon says:

So how does this lovingly address the issue of persons with a full range of knee injuries and diseases who find it impossible to kneel?

November 25, 2008 at 4:37 pm
(14) Scott P. Richert says:

The same way that it was addressed for centuries–they present themselves at the Communion rail standing up. Or, if walking is too difficult, the priest waits until the end of Communion and then comes through the rail and presents Communion to them in their pews.

June 16, 2009 at 10:58 am
(15) Mary Jean says:

I began to look into the origins of ‘communion in the hand’ and have found a HUGE controvery concerning the act in itself and the origins of it. I teach a 2nd grade class that prepares the students for First Reconciliation and First Holy Communion. If it matters, I still receive the Most Blessed Sacrament on the tongue. My children, both the older ones and the now younger ones, receive The Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Our Dear Lord Jesus in their hand. My true to my heart feeling is- What we receive in the HOly Eucharist is much more, greater, perfect, holy… words cannot explain… BECAUSE IT IS JESUS CHRIST HIMSELF!! If a person can look deep into their soul, while being completely honest with themself, are thay able to completely HUMBLE themselves before the LORD in the MOST BLESSED SACRAMENT by kneeling and bowing before receiving?
Humility is a gift from God! Find the childlike confidence in your soul and YOUR KNEE WILL BEND TO THE LORD JESUS CHRIST! be it HIS PRESENCE in the MOST BLESSED SACRAMENT or HIM STANDING BEFORE YOU IN PERSON! AMEN!
Only we are able to discern for ourselves, what we consider to be our ‘honest’ devotion, love, belief…. in Our Lord Jesus Christ, be it in His presence in our soul or His presence in the MOST BLESSED SACRAMENT OF HIS BODY, BLOOD, SOUL AND DIVINITY OF HOLY COMMUNION.
I pray for all who question any part of their faith, that in the end it brings them closer to the true Love and Mercy of our loving God- The Blessed Trinity. Amen.

January 3, 2010 at 5:14 pm
(16) Daniel says:

Mary-Jane that was lovely but belongs in a Hallmark card. Since such ‘casual’ excesses as communion in he hand the number of young people between 18 and 30 who believe the Eucharist is actually the Body and Blood of Christ is about 25%. A few decades ago it was 75%.

January 23, 2010 at 9:14 pm
(17) Belen Macias says:

I have been denied my right to recieve communion in the hand 3 times already. I live in California and belong to the Dioceses of Monterey. After the second time this happened, I wrote a letter to the bishop. But it seemed like he did the opposite of what I asked (to ask priests to respect my right to recieve communion in the tongue). Today, for the third time, I was forced to take communion in the hand. I already wrote to the bishop, what do I do now?

January 23, 2010 at 9:18 pm
(18) Belen Macias says:

Sorry, I ment to say I was denied my right to recieve it in the tongue (I wrote “hand” above).

February 16, 2010 at 4:12 pm
(19) James says:

Belen,
If there is anything distracting you in receiving the Holy Eucharist, then maybe you should go where there is no distraction. I bet there are many Catholic Churches out there that would open their arms up to you. My prayers are with you.

February 21, 2010 at 7:52 pm
(20) Michael Ezzo says:

Someone said that the inner disposition is what really counts. I agree to a point. But I think there has been too much emphasis on the “all that matters is what’s in the heart” manner of thinking in the last forty years. Appearances actually do account for something. When we received our high school diplomas, for example, we did so (both inwardly and outwardly) with reverence for what the honor bestowed.

To Belen Macias — truly, I sympathize with you, and you are not alone. I am too easily acquiescent towards authority, so after a similar experience, I felt forced to receive in the hand, and did so for a few years. Finally I just could not bring myself to do it anymore. At our church there are always two extra priests to distribute Communion at Easter and Christmas, however. They can’t oppose reception on the tongue because they won’t be there next week to harass me. So, now I receive only at those two times, and on the tongue. It is unfortunate that what should be an experience of joy and gratitude is now a nightmare of trembling anxiety and agonizing. I don’t know if it is a conspiracy to break down belief in the Real Presence, but it does a great job of sowing doubt and confusion. (Statistics prove it).

The second thing I do is pray — pray every day for the return to Communion on the tongue, kneeling, at the altar rail.

In the meantime, I wonder when the papal norm will become church-wide. It’s astonishing that a simple indult, which was supposed to be nothing more than an exception to the rule, ended up becoming the rule (Everywhere except papal and Tridentine Masses).

Somehow I think a reversal of this trend is going to require stronger medicine than papal example. But it’s a good start. Let’s keep praying!

May 4, 2010 at 2:18 pm
(21) Pamela Dion says:

Please do not deny yourself union with Jesus, just because a priest will not place Him in your mouth. Let Jesus handle the priest, be more cognizant of your soul. In fact, let Jesus handle anyone not living within the Laws of Love, always be concerned about your soul in His Presence. Only God knows when He will call you to Him.

6.19.2008 “I am your Jesus, born Incarnate.”

“When you receive Me in the Eucharist, I desire that our hearts become like notes in a symphony—flowing together, making beautiful music together. If I could be united like this with each heart, all would abide in the Divine Will. We would make beautiful symphonies together—Me and each heart. There would be no more wars, immorality or compromise of the truth.”

“Today people say they stand for the truth, but the truth they support is only a lie. If souls would unite to My Eucharistic Heart, they would be united with the Truth Itself.”

This is Our God. A Love message.

You want the Truth. Read Heaven’s Last Call to Humanity the messages on line http://www.holylove.org. Do not be swayed by the local Bishop. Read. You will know the Truth by the Fruits. Read. The archives date back to 1993. READ.
The dedication of St. Thomas Aquinas Learning Center and
Ministry Complex will be 7pm on Friday June 11, 2010.
Our Lady has promised apparitions from Jesus at midnight on June 13 and again a 3 PM.

Every soul is invited to make a pilgrimage to the Shrine. NO ONE is excluded. There are directions on how to make a pilgrimage. Thousands upon thousands were there on Divine Mercy Sunday…. will you be one on the 11th or Feast of the United Hearts on 13th?
People come from around the world.
Priests come from around the world.
Remember it is our soul that counts.

November 10, 2010 at 4:09 am
(22) Josephine says:

From the Mother Teresa Official Site:

You quoted “Wherever I go in the whole world, the thing that makes me the saddest is watching people receive Communion in the hand.” This statement does not seem authentic to us. We have never heard Mother Teresa saying these words nor read them in her writings. One thing that Mother Teresa used to repeat very often was: “…The greatest destroyer of peace today is abortion, because it is a war against the child, a direct killing of the innocent child, murder by the mother herself… the greatest destroyer of love and peace is abortion.”

December 30, 2010 at 1:22 pm
(23) CK says:

(Katharian Emmerich 1824) stigmata–Considered the most famous of all german mystics, saw jesus distribute the bread into the mouths of the Apostles, Also (Therese Neumann 1962)

June 17, 2011 at 3:31 pm
(24) Lisa says:

Pope Benedict is saying that we should promote Communion in the mouth while Kneeling. Enjoy!!!!!!!

http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2009/jul/09072703.html Complete LSN Interview with Antonio Cardinal Cañizares Llovera

God love you

Lisa

July 23, 2011 at 2:40 am
(25) velson fernandes says:

i heard a priest justifying the act of receiving the communion on hand. he said that there are chances of spreading diseases from one person to another, in other words he says that he believes more in the efficacy of the disease than in the real presence of Christ.

February 25, 2012 at 3:07 am
(26) Kelly Gomez Rosario says:

My name is Kelly Rosario from St Patrick’s Catholic Church in Norcross Georgia.

How people receive communion is an issue that had bothered me for some time as well. I have no doubt that Mother Teresa was bothered by it. I used to kneel and take communion without giving it much thought to which way it should be. That was until one Sunday, I returned to the parish where all three of my kids had attended Catholic School from k-8th grade & when I got to the front of the line, I knelt & was chastised by the priest who made me stand up, told me never to ever do that again & threw the host into my mouth, he proceeded to repeat this procedure to my husband who had also knelt behind me & was in prayer getting ready received Christ and didn’t notice what had just occurred with me. We were to say the least horrified and saddened.

We never returned to that parish again, however, it made us stop and look around our own Church, so we thought well maybe we are wrong, and we should not be kneeling…so following the majority of the people, we began to receive communion standing up. But this bothered my husband and I so much that we began to pray about it and he returned to kneeling because he was sure that God wants us to be kneeling in reverence when we receive. I not as sure and continuing to pray along with feelings of awkwardness returning to kneeling because all the priests know me so well and I attend daily mass so I didn’t want to do one thing one day and another on a different day. So I had continued to stand until I couldn’t deny that I too feel like the Holy Spirit is telling me to kneel. So I am so glad to have come across this post and read it entirely and feel like it has provided me with the answer I was looking for and I knew in my heart to be true. We should all be kneeling before God when we receive him, I knew it in my heart and wanted confirmation and I have received it tonight. Praise the Lord, my Savior.

February 25, 2012 at 3:07 am
(27) Kelly Gomez Rosario says:

My name is Kelly Rosario from St Patrick’s Catholic Church in Norcross Georgia.

February 25, 2012 at 3:38 am
(28) Kelly Gomez Rosario says:

I have a second issue to post re: Communion on the hand. I can not even begin to comprehend, the whole “right” argument as if we were talking about driver licenses. I believe that taking communion in the hand is an outright offense to God. Why would a priest just allow a person who has come off the street, from doing whatever he was doing before coming into church-talking on the phone, eating, fixing their hair, whatever…. come straight into church & then touch the living Christ? I will tell you that even Eucharist Ministers should not be allowed to touch Him..The Church doesn’t allow the lay people to speak for Christ by reading the Gospel, but yet it is ok to touch HIM…can someone explain that rational?

If a priest, who has the greatest graces & blessings God can bestow on any of us,and if it were no big deal to just pick up the host and the chalice and hand it out— then why does he who is holy already, why does the priest himself wash his hands and says to God as he washes his hands, “Wash me, O Lord from my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin.” BEFORE picking up the host . So why he who has been appointed by God to stand there and be His Voice and perform such an awesome and sacred event as the Holy Mass, have to wash his hands and yet the lowly assembly not???

Why do we think or believe, that we who have presented ourself at the alter with unclean hands have “some right” to just pick HIM up and toss HIM into our mouths like a lollipop. Then the Church wonders why we have lost reverence and belief that Jesus is present in the Most Holy Sacarament as the Eucharist.

Kelly Maria Rosario

February 28, 2012 at 2:55 pm
(29) John says:

Mother Teresa never said that. My experience with Sede Vacantes is that they are very shrewd. They know how to take things and twist them to fit their agenda. Maybe Mother Teresa said something about communion in the hand, but she never said this direct quote or refer to it as worse than abortion. The lies from Sede Vacantes are directly from the devil and I pray for them that God will have mercy on them for the souls they lead astray with their lies.

March 11, 2012 at 12:55 pm
(30) Clare says:

You know what? It just got to the point where I just couldn’t receive holy eucharist in the hands any longer. My heart just wouldn’t allow it.

June 8, 2012 at 11:47 pm
(31) Jennifer says:

I am so very impressed with the passion and devotion I am reading in these comments.
My husband and I were raised to receive on the tongue and I never chewed It. I remember my mother being very upset when it was allowed on the hand. As we raised our children we taught them on the tongue only. I have some experiences to share:
I always carried a baby or even a big “little” kid when going up to communion with some priest, who would bump our hands so that we would take It in the hand, just so he would have to put It on my tongue. One priest we have now really does a poor job of placing the host on the tongue. He rushes. Because of that I am still saying “Amen” and he’s placing It. I feel he disapproves.
Although I try to pray after communion, I see a lot of Host fall to the floor! Then the person picks it up with the 5 second rule and receives it like a potato chip. The priest shows no sign of disapproval that I can see, and I was watching.
When I was little the priest held up the Eucharist and dropped It. We couldn’t find It for a bit. I pointed to It and the priest started shaking and instructed me not to touch It. He picked the Host up and set it on the side of his dish and took a handkerchief (from out of nowhere) and covered the place where It was and finished serving the line of people kneeling at the rail. He was shaking until even after Mass. It was a big deal! It was mostly this experience that shaped an even greater and deeper reverence for the Eucharist.

June 9, 2012 at 12:07 am
(32) Jennifer says:

An additional experience: Our parish will not teach how to receive the Eucharist on the tongue. At the practice for First Holy Communion, the opportunity to practice receiving on the tongue was omitted. So, I spoke with the principle and was told that the children are to receive by hand for their First Holy Communion, but after that the can do what they like. My daughter received on the tongue, first and always. You see, even young Catholics get to chose and our daughter chose what she was taught at home. Parents, teach your children and insist they do what you feel is right. That is why you have been given the gift of parenthood.

June 16, 2012 at 4:10 pm
(33) Mary Kanake says:

Let all Catholics follow what the Pope is telling us ,by his action,giving The Eucharist on the tongue and all the time the communicant is kneeling.We look great before God while we are on our knees.

July 24, 2012 at 9:36 am
(34) WyoChurchGoer says:

I understand the idea behind receiving communion on the tongue and showing reverence. My problem is I am a tall man and have a real fear of the Host being dropped. I can’t get it out of my head that receiving in the hands is the safest way to get the Precious Body into my mouth. Can anybody think of a work-around?

I would like to kneel to receive but not if few others in the Church are–that would seem to draw attention to myself, be distracting and possibly be an occasion for scandal (?)

December 8, 2012 at 4:14 pm
(35) Norma says:

I agree whole heartedly that we should NEVER touch the Holy Eucharist. This tradition of giving it to the parishioner in the hand is done out of modern conveniency (to get the line moving faster) I have read in many visionary’s testimonials of Mary where the virgin states that it makes her and her son Jesus sad to see people receiving communion in hand. We need to pray for our churches and priest more because Satan is very active in the Catholic church to sabotage our priests into sin and to our catholic traditions less holy by changing the rules for modern convenience.

February 11, 2013 at 10:34 pm
(36) C. Ivers says:

I too would love to see the practice of receiving the Holy Eucharist on the tongue, while kneeling. Growing up we fasted for an hour before Mass and the first thing to pass your lips when you returned home was a glass of water, in further reverance to the Eucharist received. While over the years I receive communion in the hand, I feel compelled to take a moment to bless myself after I have placed the Host in my mouth. I found it interesteing that my daughters teacher noticed this and mentioned it to me after Mass. She felt it showed a greater reverance. She was a young woman who had only ever reeived Communion by hand and even she agreed that more reverance was required. I feel people of all ages would love a return to reverance which would enhance their feeling of unity with Christ and and a deeper appreciation of His precious gift to us. I will continue to pray this.

March 15, 2013 at 5:06 pm
(37) leric says:

To receive on the tongue while on your knees is the norm, that is what i do and am the only one in my church that does–it does sadden me to see the lack of reverence toward The Blessed Sacrament and i pray for an increase
of faith. As catholics we have the fullness of the faith that Christ wants for us. it is my prayer that we come to believe earnestly this reality. may God bless us and keep us